Below is a video game self addiction survey adapted and pulled from Dr. Young’s Assessment of Internet Addiction (Young 1999). This self-assessment can be used to just give a rough idea of the severity of video game and or internet addiction.
To assess the level of addiction, answer the following questions using this scale: 0 = Not Applicable 1 = Rarely 2 = Occasionally 3 = Frequently 4 = Often 5 = Always
1. How often do you find that you play video games longer than you intended?
2. How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time playing video games?
3. How often do you prefer the excitement of video games to intimacy with your partner?
4. How often do you form new relationships with fellow video game players?
5. How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend playing video games?
6. How often do your grades or school work suffer because of the amount of time you spend playing video games?
7. How often do play video game news before something else that you need to do?
8. How often does your job performance or productivity suffer because of video game playing?
9. How often do you become defensive or secretive when anyone asks you what you do during video games?
10. How often do you block out disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of video games?
11. How often do you find yourself anticipating when you will play video games again?
12. How often do you fear that life without video games would be boring, empty, and joyless?
13. How often do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are playing video games?
14. How often do you lose sleep due to late-night gaming?
15. How often do you feel preoccupied with video games when doing other things, or fantasize about video games?
16. How often do you find yourself saying “just a few more minutes” when playing video games?
17. How often do you try to cut down the amount of time you spend playing video games and fail?
18. How often do you try to hide how long you’ve been gaming?
19. How often do you choose to spend more time gaming over going out with others?
20. How often do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are not gaming, which goes away once you start gaming?
Now add up all the score that you achieved for all of the numbers. The higher the score range, the greater the level of addiction:
NORMAL RANGE 0 – 30 points
MILD 31- 49 points
MODERATE 50 -79 points
SEVERE 80 – 100 points
Young, S. K. (1999). Internet Addiction: Symptoms, Evaluation, And Treatment.Innovations in Clinical Practice.